Welcome to English Can Be Fun!
Hello everyone, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to view my website. As the name suggests, I wish to become an English teacher, and make English fun yet educational. Writing and reading are things that need special care and attention, yet students have more fun when they understand. So, browse around and take a look at the site. I just put up and Introduction Glog that tells more information about myself. Thank you!
In this particular class, students will be reading and writing on a number of topics deriving from our nations beginnings. Writings from different time periods ranging from the american revolution to the great depression will be addressed. Students will have the ability to discuss and write about in class their thoughts and opinions on issues from these times.
Here's a couple of videos that give an idea of what American Lit is about;
1. Phillis Wheatley - famous african american poet who wrote as a slave. This is an informative video that provides background on a poet that was intergral in American Literature.
2. American Lit Overview - This video gives a slight overview of the class and talks about important topics and people the class covers.
MY 20 QUESTIONS GAME FOR PRIDE AND PREJUDICE IS POSTED HERE!!!!!
In this class, students will learn how to express their ideas in a variety of ways. Topics such as characters, plots, different types of story writing, and narration are examples of what students have to look forward to. Students will also create their own pieces and share with their peers in small and large groups their own ideas.
I've also included a few video links here that could be helpful in getting started with writing.
1. How to Write an Essay
2. Short Story - Helpful short tips to writing a short story.
MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT A GRADEBOOK IS UNDER CREATIVE WRITING!
Education World Links
Here are two links to website for Education world. The first of the two involves and online student portfolio. It allows teachers and students to learn how compile their work electronically. The works inside this portfolio are typically the individuals best work.
Here is the link to an E-Portfolio techtorial.
The next Education world techtorial is over student online journals. It basically goes over the basics of blogging, but I think it would be easier for students to discuss their work through blogs, and they could comment on more works at a time.
Here is the link to Student Journals
When teaching English in a high school setting, it can be difficult to help students who have trouble reading and writing, reach their potential. I believe in students working together, and discussing literature as well as their own written pieces to ensure as total understanding. Students can only learn so much from me standing in front of them teaching, they need to get some hands on experience. I believe in patience and am understanding of a student's struggles. It's important to offer as much help as I can give not only in my subject area but in real life as well. As I hope to be a softball and possibly basketball coach, I think it's important to reach students in those areas as well.
Here is another video which gives information using smartboards in English classroom!!!
Here are some important professional links that help give some more information about my subject and my own pedagogy.
1. National Council of Teaching English- This website helps teachers address state standards as well as address other important classroom lessons. It also gives parents a way to get involved at home.
2. Read, Write, Think - is an international reading association that provides activities for students and helpful ideas for teachers to help students learn how to read and increase writing ability.
3.Kappa Delta Pi- this website provides help for future and current educators. It contains discussion boards over all the hot topics in education right now. As the national education honor society, its websites shows the benefits members can recieve as well as provide ideas to undergraduate students learning to be teachers.
4. NFCA- This is a website for high school softball coaches to get the latest information on rule changes, new uniforms and learn tips from college coaches. Since I want to coach high school softball I thought it prudent to include a professional link for it.
5. Purdue Writing Center- I thought this would be another helpful website to have as a link as well. At the Purdue University writing center, there are lots of tips on correct citations as well as hints to improve your writing. It tells you everything from how to write a annotated bibliography to teaching English as a second language.
LINKS FOR ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY
1. This is a link to a website called Do2Learn and it provides games, songs and different types of activites for students with special needs. It also provides information on students with special needs and how all of them are different.
2. Here is a link to the Fisher-Price Website, which contains games for special needs children, geared toward the five senses and their development.