Great River School
A1 Occupation class
2013 Spring Intensive - Urban Archetecture
The urban architecture spring intensive is designed to give students an immersive and intuitive knowledge of the twin cities environment and some of its iconic (or secret) landmarks. We will be traveling in the twin cities area on a daily basis, examining and learning about buildings and keeping a journal. Every day we will meet at school at 8:30, then bus to our locations, returning to GRS by 3:00. Bus cards from the school will be used to pay for transportation.
Students will need to bring:
- lunch (we may or may not have the opportunity to buy food).
- sensible shoes - significant walking will be required (several hours a day)
- rain jacket – we will be going out rain or shine (it looks to be wet outside)
- water bottle
- cell phone (if owned)
- Attendance: Timely and consistent attendance is necessary for passing the spring intensive.
- Journaling: Students will get a journal from the instructor. We will take time each day to journal about the buildings, neighborhoods our travels, and our perspective. A sketch a day will be required. Photos will be added to the journal and a map will be pasted in with the locations of our travels clearly marked. The journal will need to be organized.
- During the day, students will stay together and participate as a group. If students need to leave the main group, they will inform the instructor ahead of time and stay in a group of three.
- Students will communicate promptly via phone if need be.
Thursday, May 30
8:30 Great River: orientation and expectations
Travel together by bus to “Guardians of Health” water tower (Washburn Park, south Minneapolis)
~2:30 Return to GRS
Friday, May 31
Basilica (88 N 17th St Minneapolis, MN)
Loring Park Churches
Minneapolis Women’s Club
Downtown Water Front (Guthrie, Stone arch bridge area)
Monday, June 3
St. Paul Cathedral (239 Selby Ave St Paul, MN 55102)
Downtown St. Paul – Landmark Center & St. Paul Hotel
Tuesday, June 4
U of M Minneapolis Campus – TCF bank stadium
Wednesday, June 5
Minneapolis City Hall (350 South 5th Street, Minneapolis, MN)
St. Paul City Hall
Downtown St. Paul
Thursday, June 6
Great River School